Good news for Poinsettia-lovers; your favorite holiday plants are not toxic!
The Society of American Florists teamed up with researchers at Ohio State University to complete scientific studies on the toxicity of poinsettias on both people and pets. The results indicated that there were absolutely no reasons to worry about the effects of these plants on the health of your children or pets! The POISINDEX Information Service, the primary resource for most poison control centers, states that a child would have to ingest 500-600 poinsettia leaves to exceed the experimental dosage that revealed no toxicity on test animals.
However with that said, poinsettias, like most other ornamental plants, are not intended for consumption.
Enjoy your holiday poinsettias!!